Sunday 22 May 2011

Common Christianity- Thought for the Lords Day Episode 1

Hi,

So, am thinking about doing a short devotional thought every Lord's Day on here. Pray it encourages you all.

The word "common" is most often a derogatory or negative word, denoting something of inferior or lesser quality. However, it has another meaning, that of something that is shared, something that brings unity. We Christians have much in common. As I studied for my sermon today (on Unity of the Spirit) I ran across three things that we Christians have in common.

1- A common confession: I Tim 3:16. What is that? That Jesus is Lord, Jesus is the Son of God. We believe and confess "He who was revealed in the flesh,Was vindicated in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Proclaimed among the nations, Believed on in the world, Taken up in glory." This is the rock upon which the church stands, and it is a bold statement which binds Christians together and sets them apart from all the other religions of the world. Our confession springs from...

2- A common faith: Titus 1:4 What is this faith? It is faith in Jesus, as mentioned above, but it is also the faith of Jesus. Gal 2:20 in the KJV reads "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who love me, and gave himself for me." Living by the faith of the Son of God gives us a...

3- Common salvation: Jude 1:3. We all share a common salvation- the salvation of faith. I Pet 1:9 "... obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls." John Maxwell, on the Laws of Teamwork, talks about the Law of High Morale- When you're winning, nothing hurts. Well, one thing we share in common is that we are all "winning" together. Really, what should get us down or drive us apart? Next time you feel like slandering or downing your brother, remember you're going to spend eternity with him/her. That's a long time of awkward silence. Think about it.

Isn't it exciting to have a share in this common Christianity? It binds us together more than any other bonds of kinship, nationality, or interest. You and me, we've got a lot in common!

God bless,
Jeremiah

2 comments:

  1. Great message this morning!!! Really encouraging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Jeremiah! I look forward to reading these every week!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.