Sunday 1 January 2012

2012, a Prospectus

If half of the resolutions that people make at the beginning of the year, were carried out, half of the time, imagine what a world this would be... there'd be so many healthy, effective, patient, multi-linguistic, instrument-playing people out there. Sadly, the VAST majority of New Year Resolutions' go the way of politicians' campaign promises.I'm not excluding myself from this. I'm a pretty ambitious person, and have made some pretty outlandish New Year Resolutions over the year, so I'm sharing with you from my failures as much as from successes. So, here are some tips, to help us all have a more productive 2012.

Basically, I encourage you to set goals, not resolutions. What do I mean? "I'm going to lose weight," versus "I'm going to run a 5K by the year's end." The more specific we make things, the more likely it will get done. Make goals for 2012, as opposed to 2012. If for example you want to "be a better dad," try and make it more specific, such as- "Do daily Bible time with my kids every evening," or something along that line. Goals need to be: a) written (or typed or entered into our smartphone), b) challenging (eating a large cheese pizza would not qualify if you are a teenage boy), c) believable (dunking a basketball if you are 70 year old grandma would not qualify), d) specific (read through the entire Bible, for example), e) measureable (such as a waistline, body-weight, number of books, race time, a page of prayer journal a day, for example), and f) have a specific deadline (by December 31st, 2012 for example). Also, since we are Christians, look for goals that are spiritual, or have a Biblical connection or motivation. For example, if your goal is to get in good shape, think of "buffeting your body and making it your slave."

So set some goals, and then place them somewhere you won't lose it (guilty of that many times), where you will see it every day, and where someone else can see it as well. Remember that stuff gets done when you walk by faith not by sight... when you recognize that, as Christians, we are powered by the spirit, not by willpower, and that if God promises something, He will keep His promises. 


Ok, so here are a few (again, I'm pretty ambitious, so I've got a lot more) of my goals for 2012. Please feel free to share some of yours, so we can pray for and encourage each other! 


1- Read the New Testament each month. 
2- Memorize a verse of Scripture daily.
3- Keep a prayer journal. 
4- Get Bible studies with 10 different people. 
5- Complete the Rosetta Stone French Course Level 5. 
6- Win a Cameroonian to Christ.
7- Run 2 kilometers in 12 minutes.

Well, those are a few of the things that I'm trying to get done this year. (There are many, many more). God bless you guys, and we pray you all may have a great 2012.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremiah, you meant 3 kilometers in 12 minutes...encouraging blog post! Thanks honey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I tried to post/edit a post here 3X..the 1st went *Poof* into cyberspace....and the other 2 edits wouldn't take.

    Here goes:...Just wanted to say thanks for your visit @ MT Family Camp this year, I appreciate your talents in song for Him. (Inspiring!)

    I enjoy your thoughts on goals. It brought to mind Luke 9:51 & I looked at it in a composite form from several translations.

    When the days were approaching for His ascension, He was (resolute, and steadfastly set His face, because He was determined) to go to Jerusalem.

    Christ had His goal set before him, in constant view. He accomplished the goal!

    From your posting, it reminded me of S.M.A.R.T Goals: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time bound.

    Jim Brady was such a mentor about these subjects, and Acronyms, etc.

    Having been raised Catholic, I never forgot how helpful it was when he coined the phrase: "Go Eat Popcorn Colossians."

    Which helped me navigate most of the NT as an anchor point. Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians & Colossians. The rest were easier to remember from this anchor point of what came before/after more commonly remembered books.

    I'll share with you privately some of my 2012 goals in Christ this year, but I wanted to let you know what an uplifting visit it was to see you & your family this year. :+)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.